There are a two primary fillings in Portland that get used the most. Both have different benefits and drawbacks. At Laurelwood Dental we believe you should have access to the options you want. Before we proceed with any tooth filling, we’ll go over both types. Amalgam fillings are more noticeable but sturdier than the near invisible composite fillings. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions, because our dentists always strive to keep you informed and comfortable.
Composite “Tooth-Colored” Fillings
- Composite fillings are fully cured before you leave our office, so you can resume normal eating as soon as the anesthetic wears off.
- It is normal to have some sensitivity after a filling is placed. The level of sensitivity depends on the size and extent of the filling placed.
Amalgam “Silver” Fillings
- Silver fillings take 24 hours to become completely hard so avoid hard and crunchy foods for the first day.
- If your bite feels high once the anesthetic has worn off contact our office to make an appointment to adjust the bite.
- It is normal to have some sensitivity after a filling is placed.
If you have concerns or symptoms that do not resolve please contact our office at 503.284.3575.